boxing

Peter Fury pleased with Klitschko exercising rematch option

By Scott Gilfoid: Peter Fury, the trainer for new IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Tyson Fury (25-0, 18 KOs), is ecstatic with the news that former world champion Wladimir Klitschko (64-4, 53 KOs) is saying that he plans on exercising his rematch option that he had in his contract with Fury for their fight last Saturday night in Dusseldorf, Germany.

Klitschko tried his best in the fight but came up short in losing a 12 round unanimous decision. Peter Fury believes that Tyson was only 60 percent of his best against Klitschko, and in the rematch, he thinks he can bring the other 40 percent to soundly beat him.

“We are over the moon. Tyson is very happy that Klitschko wants to take up the rematch option,” Peter Fury said to RingTV.com. “They are the two best heavyweights in the world – bar none. It’s great that they are going to clash again.”

READ  Eddie Hearn: “Dillian Whyte should take priority over Anthony Joshua and Fury”

This is really about money and safety for Fury to be taking a second fight against Klitschko. He stands a better chance of finishing the fight on his feet against Wladimir than he does against one of the top fighters in the heavyweight division, and he has a good chance of winning the contest.

Wladimir showed quite clearly last Saturday that he can’t throw punches anymore like he used to. I don’t think that’s going to change in a rematch, because it appears to be a problem brought about by his age than from it being a flaw in his game. At 39, Wladimir just doesn’t seem to have it anymore due to him getting older. That’s not going to change if he faces Fury again. In other words, Wladimir isn’t going to get young if he faces Fury a second time.

READ  Eddie Hearn: “Dillian Whyte should take priority over Anthony Joshua and Fury”

“I know Klitschko will be better prepared next time but I am not worried and nor is Tyson,” Peter said. “I said after Saturday’s fight we only saw Tyson at 60 percent. So we look forward to him showing 100 percent for the rematch. Klitschko will bring a better game but Tyson will raise his game and that should make it an easier fight.”

I don’t believe that Tyson Fury was only at 60 percent against Klitschko. I think we saw the best Fury there is, and he looked terrible. Fury’s problem is he’s been facing such horrible opposition his entire career. Even with him fighting a totally shot and over the hill Klitschko, he still couldn’t do much because he’s not a class fighter. Let’s face it; Fury is mediocre at best, and he’s basically gotten this far on just being big and facing gawd awful opposition.

0 comments on “Peter Fury pleased with Klitschko exercising rematch option

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Email
WhatsApp
Tweet
Share