On Tuesday’s international media conference call with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya said he didn’t realize that middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin wouldn’t be fighting WBO Billy Joe Saunders on June 10 like what had been talked about. De La Hoya says he sees that as a great sign that GGG wants to fight Canelo in September.
De La Hoya previously said last month that he’s not in favor of Golovkin fighting Saunders because it would get in the way of the promotion of the Canelo-Golovkinf fight in September. After learning of De La Hoya’s comments on the Saunders fight, Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler said that he hadn’t been told by Golden Boy president Eric Gomez not to make the Saunders fight.
Still, sources from Yahoo Sports News are saying that Golovkin will not be facing Saunders in June. He’ll be waiting and resting until September for the Canelo fight. You can read that as De La Hoya getting his way by Golovkin not taking the Saunders fight after his verbal warning for them to steer away from that fight.
“All my focus is on Canelo and Chavez, Jr. I actually didn’t even know he was not going to fight in June,” said De La Hoya when asked about his thoughts on Golovkin not choosing to fight Saunders in June. ”That’s obviously a great indication. But all focus is on this fight,” said De La Hoya.
De La Hoya didn’t sound like he didn’t know that Golovkin wasn’t fighting Saunders. In listening to De La Hoya answer that question, he sounded disingenuous to me. In my opinion, I think De La Hoya was fully aware that Golovkin had decided not to take the fight with Saunders. Obviously, it puts De La Hoya in unfavorable light with some boxing fans, because he said that didn’t want Golovkin to fight Saunders.
The fans want to see Golovkin take that fight with Saunders because it would give him the opportunity to pick up the last middleweight title not in his possession with the World Boxing Organization 160lb title. It’s an interesting fight. Saunders has the kinds of skillset that we saw from Daniel Jacob, who gave Golovkin a devil of a time in their fight last month on March 18 on HBO pay-per-view.
Saunders would be a lot of trouble for Golovkin with his shifty moves, quick hand speed and the ability to box off his back foot for 12 rounds. That might be one big reason why Golovkin and his promoter Tom Loeffler chose not to take that fight. It would be risky and potentially ruin his chance for the Canelo fight.
Canelo will be fighting Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on May 6 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Like all of Canelo’s fights nowadays, it’ll be televised on HBO pay-per-view. De La Hoya isn’t saying how many pay-per-view buys the Canelo-Chavez Jr. fight will bring in, but he thinks it’ll break records.
“We’re very happy with how it’s going,” said De La Hoya about the Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. promotion. ”Obviously the way the tickets sold out and now Pay-Per-View, closed circuit is opening it up. MGM is opening up more properties for closed circuit. Won’t give you a number now, but we’re very happy and we can see that it’s going to do very well and break some records.”
If De La Hoya believes the Canelo-Chavez Jr. will break PPV records, then he’s kidding himself. That fight will be lucky if it hits 1 million buys. None of Canelo’s fights have ever reached 1M buys when he was the A-side fighter. The only time that Canelo reached over 1 million buys was when he was the B-side fighter in his 2013 match against Floyd Mayweather Jr. That fight pulled in 2.2 million buys on Showtime PPV.
Those are great numbers obviously, but you can’t give Canelo credit for them because he wasn’t the one responsible for bringing in most of them. It was clearly Mayweather that pulled in the fans. Canelo’s best PPV numbers with him as the A-side was his fight against Miguel Cotto in 2015. That fight brought in 900,000 buys on HBO PPV. I take that back. Canelo was the B-side for the Cotto fight, not the A-side. Cotto was the main attraction for that fight, and he got the bigger purse.
Canelo says that he’s going to be moving up to 160 on a permanent basis now after he faces Chavez Jr. in their catchweight fight at 164.5lbs on May 6th. We’ll see if that’s the case. Canelo might find it hard going at 160 once he starts fighting in that weight class. I can see Canelo losing a couple of fights at middleweight and then deciding that he made a hasty decision to move up in weight. Once Canelo faces Golovkin and Jermall Charlo or Daniel Jacobs, I think he loses both of those fights and head back down to 155 with his tail tucked firmly between his legs.
”And as far as the weight, after this fight, I’m not looking past this fight,” said Canelo about him moving down to 160 after he faces Chavez Jr. at 164 ½ pounds. ”I’m focused 100 percent on this fight, but I’m now staying at middleweight. I’ll stay at 160 pounds.”
That would be a superb addition to the middleweight division if Canelo chooses to stay at 160 and not move back down in weight to his old 155lb division that he created. With Canelo, he kind of makes his own rules due to his popularity with boxing fans in the U.S and Mexico. If Canelo decides he’s not happy fighting at 160 due to it not giving him an edge, I think it’s possible that we could see him go back to fighting at catch-weights that would make it hard on his opponents.
”Because they know. They know based on my history, my discipline, my abilities, my talent, and obviously all the experts see that and they know,” said Canelo in response to a member of the boxing media telling him that he’s the favorite to beat Chavez Jr.