By Manuel Perez: Saul “Canelo” Alvarez may not have gotten the victory over Gennady “GGG” Golovkin last Saturday, but the fact of the matter is he, he still the better fighter and by far the more complete fighter of the two.
It’ only obvious who will win the second Canelo vs. Golovkin fight. Canelo will outclass Golovkin a second time, but this time he’s going to take him out with body shots and leave no doubt.
The judges scored it right in calling it a 12 round draw. Canelo won the first 3 rounds and the last 3 rounds to earn a draw. In between those 6 rounds, Canelo could have won one or two other rounds for him to earn a decision. In fact, I had Canelo winning the fight 8 rounds to 4. I thought Canelo did enough to win round 7 and 9. Golovkin won rounds 4, 5, 6 and 8. Golovkin is lucky I wasn’t one of the judges last Saturday night, because he would have a big fat loss.
Golovkin can feel happy with his draw right now and brag about it, but he’s still the inferior fighter of the two. He’ll never be as good as Canelo. In the rematch, Canelo will beat him and stop him. Canelo learns from each fight like a computer. He improves his game with each fight. The improvements that Canelo needs for him to beat Golovkin the next time they fight are as follows:
– Walk Golovkin down. Don’t let him rest
– Throw lots of punches
– Target Golovkin’s body. He didn’t react well when he was hit with body shots last Saturday night
– Stay off the ropes. Golovkin was only able to have moments when Canelo was on the ropes
– Work on stamina. Canelo looked tired at times in the middle rounds. However, once Canelo got his second wind, he dominated the fight in the championship rounds in rounds 9 through 12.
Here’s the reason why Canelo is still the better fighter:
• He landed the better shots during the fight
• Canelo’s defense was on point. He took away Golovkin’s right hand and left him with just his jab. You’re not going to win a fight if all you can do is jab. Canelo already proved that in beating Erislandy Lara in 2014. Lara did a better job against Canelo than Triple G
• Canelo showed better mobility
• Canelo’s power was equal to Golovkin’s power
• Canelo’s speed was better than Golovkin
• Better head movement
• Superior Ring IQ
Golovkin couldn’t land anything against Canelo in the fight. Golovkin wanted/needed Canelo to be perfectly still for him to connect with his slow punches, but Canelo wasn’t going to do that. He was too smart.
Golovkin came into the fight with this reputation of being this dangerous knockout artist. Canelo handled his power with ease. He negated Golovkin’s right hand, and took away his left hook as well. The only weapon Golovkin had was his jab, and even that weapon rarely landed.
Golovkin couldn’t cut the ring off against Canelo no matter how hard he tried. When Golovkin did have Canelo trapped against the ropes, he couldn’t keep him there. Canelo easily moved to his left to get away from Golovkin to continue to dominate the fight.