By Manuel Perez: WBC junior middleweight champion Jermell Charlo (30-0, 15 KOs) had too much fire power for Erickson “The Hammer” Lubin (18-1, 13 KOs) in knocking him out in round 1 of a scheduled 12 round fight last Saturday night in their much-hyped fight on Showtime Championship Boxing at the Barclays Center in beautiful Brooklyn, New York.
Before the sudden knockout, Boxing News Results had Lubin on his way to winning the 1st round. It’s bad he didn’t make it out of the round.
Charlo waited until there was 20 seconds left in the round to unload on a scorching right hand to the jaw of 22-year-old Erickson Lubin that put him down like a sack of potatoes on the canvas. The way that Lubin went down, there would be no return.
This was it. The referee Harvey Dock stopped the fight and that was end of Lubin’s dream of pulling off an upset. As close as the odds were by fight time, it wouldn’t have been much of an upset if Lubin had won the fight. Odds-makers gave Lubin too much credit for having built up a resume based on limited opposition.
Where Lubin went wrong in the fight was his mistake of dipping down low while directly in front of Charlo. Once Lubin did that, Charlo fired off a right-hand missile that connected on his jaw, driving it sideways and downwards. Lubin followed the momentum of the downward angled shot by falling flat on the canvas, and that was all she wrote.
Lubin couldn’t get back to his feet no matter how hard he tried. His arms and legs wouldn’t respond to what he wanted them to do. They had ideas of their own with all 4 of his limps extended into the air in an odd-looking way.
Lubin did get to his feet after a short period of time, but the fight had been stopped already and he was shaky legs as he went back to his corner. Lubin looked like he was still stunned from the blow that leveled him.
For the record, the fight was stopped at 2:41 of round 1 by referee Harvey Dock. As the saying goes, better luck next time for Lubin. I’m not sure if there will ever be a next time for Lubin against Charlo. The junior middleweight division is big enough for Lubin to go in another direction to try and win another world title.
I don’t think it would be safe for Lubin to get back into the ring with Charlo anytime soon. If he wants to fight him, then he should wait for 5 of 6 years before doing that. I doubt Charlo will still be at 154 by that time. The same goes for Lubin. Both guys are heading to the middleweight division soon.
“They were giving him a lot of attention,” said Charlo. ”I was quiet the whole time. They said they were going to come take my title. I had to defend it. They didn’t know what I was brining into this and I think (Lubin) was worried about the wrong things. We’re going to unify. The other champions want to fight me and I’ll take any of them”.