boxing

Hearn: HBO wanted Cotto vs. Kell Brook on Dec.2

Hearn: HBO wanted Cotto vs. Kell Brook on Dec.2
50 Shares

Promoter Eddie Hearn says HBO approached him about matching his fighter former IBF welterweight champion Kell “Special K” Brook (31-2, 25 KOs) against WBO junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs) on December 2.

Hearn couldn’t make the fight because Brook, 31, has put on too much weight since his 11th round knockout loss to Errol Spence Jr. on May 27 at Bramall Lane, in Sheffield, England. Hearn didn’t say how heavy Brook is now weighing, but in a recent video of him, he looked to be well into the 180 pound region.

Brook’s boxing career is looking very shaky right now. He’s lost his last 2 fights by stoppage, and in both of the contests, he suffered broken eye sockets to different eyes. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anything like this happening ever. The fact that Brook suffered eye sockets effecting 2 different eyes, makes one wonder whether he has a weakness with his eyes.

Brook needed eye surgery for both eyes. Is probably not a good idea for Brook to fight a big puncher like Cotto in his next fight. Brook didn’t take a tune-up bout after he suffered a broken eye socket in his 5th round stoppage loss to middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin last year in September. Brook went straight into a fight with Errol Spence Jr. last May after being out of the ring for 8 months.

READ  Watch Anthony Joshua - Andy Ruiz Jr for just £24.95

For Brook to get down to 154 to fight Cotto for his WBO junior middleweight title on December 2, it would have required extraordinary measures. Brook probably could have made it, but he’d likely be so weight drained that he would have been an empty shell for Cotto to bat around the ring for 12 rounds or so.

Hearn obviously didn’t Brook’s value as a fighter to be diminished by him ending up as a weight drained punching bag like Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was in his ill-advised fight against Saul Canelo Alvarez on May 6 of this year. Chavez Jr. started his 8-week training camp weighing 235 lbs., and he was able to cut down to 164 lbs. to make the 164.5 lb. catch-weight for the fight. The thing is, Chavez Jr. was so weak by the time he took the weight off, he was useless inside the ring, and not capable of doing anything to make the fight competitive. The boxing fans that purchased the Canelo-Chavez Jr. fight ended up being royally ripped off by paying the $70 to watch the glorified sparring match.

READ  Anthony Joshua claims he “took a loss” for Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder in his defeat to Andy Ruiz Jr

Cotto, 36, will be fighting welterweight Sadam Ali (25-1, 14 KOs) on December 2 on HBO Boxing at Madison Square Garden in New York. Sadam will likely do about as good as a weight drained Brook would have done against Cotto. This is a straight up mismatch, but that’s obviously what Cotto wanted for the fight, otherwise he would have picked out someone good from his own weight class like Jermell Charlo. The 27-year-old Charlo recently said he should replace Sadam Ali to fight Cotto. I imagine that the interest from Golden Boy Promotions and Team Cotto in having the dangerous Charlo replace the light hitting Sadam Ali was quite cool.