HBO commentator Jim Lampley says boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. pulled off a “marvelous scam” with his fight against UFC star Conor McGregor last summer on August 26 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather, fighting much slower than normal, stopped the 29-year-old McGregor in the 10th round at the T-Mobile Arena.
Lampley believes that Mayweather coasted in the first 3 rounds so that he could give the MMA fans something to get excited about for a potential rematch against McGregor. Lampley thinks Mayweather only carried McGregor to the 10th round so that he could get enough “suckers” interested in a second fight between them.
According to Lampley, he estimates there’s enough “suckers” out there willing to purchase a second Mayweather-McGregor fight for Mayweather to walk home with at least $150 million.
“Why should he retire? He created a marvelous scam with this whole thing,” Lampley said to TMZ.com “He allowed Conor to quote ‘win’ 3 rounds so that the whole global MMA wish community could have something to latch on to. I think there’s a decent chance there’s enough suckers out there Floyd could maybe make another $150 million, why not? It’s all a set up,” said Lampley.
Mayweather vs. McGregor 2 could pull in well over 2 million PPV buys just based on the personalities of the 2 fighters. I think it’s more McGregor at this point though. He’s the relevant fighter in combat sports right now. There’s nobody even close to McGregor in terms of worldwide appeal in combat sports. Guys like Anthony Joshua, Saul Canelo Alvarez and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin are popular with segments of the sport of boxing, but they don’t sit at the top of the sport like McGregor does in MMA.
More than a few boxing fans would agree with Lampley. Mayweather DID appear to coast against McGregor, but not just in the first 3 rounds. Mayweather fought like he was taking it easy on McGregor even when he started to SLOWLY walk him down beginning in round 4. Mayweather fought like he didn’t want to end the fight too early for fear of angering the boxing and MMA fans, as well as hurting the chances of a rematch.
“Oh yeah, obviously,” said Lampley when asked if Mayweather had threw the first three rounds against McGregor. ”Risk, did you just associate the word risk with Floyd Mayweather? Risk has nothing to do with it. There’s no risk involved for him. So, we’re betting on the question of whether Floyd wants to make another $150 million dollars. Why would that even be a bet? Why else is he putting out videos of him working out? Why did he allow Conor McGregor to win 3 rounds? Why did the whole thing last 10 rounds? It’s all a setup,” said Lampley.
In a huge hint that he plans on returning to the ring soon, Mayweather released video of him working out at his Mayweather Boxing Gym last week. Mayweather was wearing his sparring gear. The way that the videos were released, it suggests that we’re going to see him back inside the ring soon. My guess is Mayweather will undercut the rematch between Saul Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin by either staging the fight on the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo in 2018, which is the date that the Canelo-GGG fight could take place, or he’ll stage the McGregor rematch ahead of that fight by 2 to 3 weeks.