Former IBF welterweight champion Kell “Special K” Brook (36-2, 25 KOs) says his next fight should see him move up to 154.
In an interview with Behind The Gloves, the 31-year-old Brook said he thinks his next fight will be at junior middleweight. Brook says he’ll come back down to welterweight for a fight with Amir Khan. Since that fight doesn’t appear to be happening soon, Brook will be moving up to 154.
It’s likely out of necessity that Brook is moving up in weight, because he’s put on a lot of weight since losing to Errol Spence Jr. on May 27. Brook hasn’t been training since then, and his weight has gone upwards.
Brook will need to find out whether he can compete on a high enough level at 154 to be successful in that division. One thing that Brook has on his side is WBO junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto retiring in December. His WBO title will open up, and Brook can go after it against the likes of Liam Smith, Liam Williams, Kanat Islam, Magomed Kurbonov and John Vera. Those are beatable fighters.
Brook suffered a fractured eye socket in his loss to Spence. He had surgery on the problem, and he’ll be ready to return to the ring in early 2018.